Thursday, April 2, 2015

sun-baked

On a scale of one to ten, how do you feel? How’s your back holding up after a year of grey haze, bottomless mistakes, bleeding broken fingers digging deeper every day?

I’d like to respond, but I’ve scraped dirt and clay from rock bottom to smear across my lips and lay beneath a summer sun that never quite faded to winter. My cotton-ball brain half-expects the shock of an alarm clock to let me know when I’m done baking, wake me up so I can kill the sound like a caterpillar hitting snooze. Give me just a few more years in this old cocoon before I have wings and expectations of beauty forced upon me like a genetic crucifix. Give me the blissful ignorance of stability and warmth and forward-looking statements spun like a straitjacket around me. Give me the awkward shifting of familial threads when they realize they knew me vicariously all this time, filtered through a chrysalis, softened by safe love and fear of a challenge. I can feel the cracks forming on my sun-baked mask as I try to stay asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment